What makes this pesto special? Well for starters, it’s incredibly flavourful and super fast to make (this bowl was ready to eat in under 30 minutes). Now, if you’re looking for the health reasons to be eating this meal, then look no further. This bowl of pasta has:
- Vitamins A, D, C, K from the spinach, as well as iron, protein and other minerals (more info on how awesome spinach is here)
- Protein from the Hemp Seeds (good article on why hemp seed is great via Treehugger)
- More iron, calcium and phytochemicals from the pumpkin seed
If you don’t have a lot of time, but want something delicious and nutritious, this pesto is a great, go-to. Click through for ingredients and a detailed recipe….
Spinach and Hemp Seed Pesto
Pesto sauce serves up to four
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 1 bundle of spinach
- 1 bouquet of basil
- 4 teaspoons of olive oil, or coconut oil if you prefer
- 4 tablespoons of hemp seed
- Pumpkin seed to garnish
- Salt- I used pink Himalayan
- Pasta- I used Durum Wheat Semolina, but you could use Quinoa pasta, rice pasta etc. to make it gluten-free
- Parmesan Cheese or Nutritional Yeast, if you want to keep it dairy-free
- Wash your spinach and basil (if not already cleaned) and start to boil a pot of salted water.
- The trick to keeping this meal super fast, is to multitask by watching the pot of water. Once the water is boiled, add pasta and let boil for 7-10 minutes, or as long as the package suggests.
- In a large bowl place the raw, peeled garlic cloves, hemp seed, cleaned basil, spinach and olive oil.
- Blend using a hand-mixer until it looks like the photo below.
- I had extra sauce left over, so I put it in an ice cube tray in the freezer for another dish.
- Once the pasta is ready, add about a ladle of the hot pasta water to the sauce mixture and stir with a spoon.
- Drain pasta and add sauce!
I garnished my bowl with the pumpkin seed and cheese, but you could also add a fried egg on top, nutritional yeast, pine nuts. Whatever tickles your fancy, and you do have the option to go dairy or gluten free by making a couple simple substitutions.