Healthy smoothies are often sweetened with bananas, however I’ve read that bananas can increase mucus production… so when my sinus issues are really acting up I try to stay away from them. That is when I turn to grapes to help sweeten my veggie packed smoothies!
Another great benefit of using grapes is that when they are paired with blueberries, (as they are in this smoothie), they enhance each others antioxidant capacity! The antioxidant capacity of various fruits individually (apples, oranges, blueberries, grapes) has been found to be less than the same amount of a mixture of fruits.
Grapes are on the Dirty Dozen list, which means they have one of the highest concentrations of pesticide residue, so make sure you buy them organic!
- 1 1/2 cups of almond milk
- 1 big handful of spinach (or greens of your choice)
- 1 big handful of blueberries
- 1 big handful of grapes
- 1 scoop of plant based protein powder or hemp hearts
- 1 tsp of spirulina
- Put all ingredients into a blender
- *Blend it up, blend it up. Watch it all pour out.
*10 points if you know what tune I was singing that to