After I made fermented ketchup, I needed to make something to eat it with! I was going to make regular french fries, but I decided to try something new, and ended up with these crispy turmeric baked potato chips!
Turmeric is flavourful and good for you! The golden coloured spice is said to contain a wide range of antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal, anticarcinogenic, antimutagenic and anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric is fat-soluble, so to aid in its absorption it is important to eat it with some form of tasty fat! The oil that is added to these chips does just the trick!
* the amounts of the ingredients are totally dependent on how many chips you want, and can easily be eyeballed *
- large potatoes
- grape seed oil (I like to use it because it has a moderately high smoke point of approximately 216 °C/421 °F)
- sea salt
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper
- Slice potatoes very thinly – the thinner it is, the crispier it will be!
- Put sliced potatoes into a large bowl and drizzle oil over the potatoes until they are evenly coated. Use as much or as little oil as you would like, just try to have them somewhat coated
- Sprinkle on some pepper and turmeric as you mix the potatoes, trying to evenly coat them
- Arrange potato slices onto the tray – do not overlap the slices
- Bake in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes
- After taking the chips out of the oven let them dry for a few minutes. I even put them on a drying rack to make sure they didn’t get soggy
- Sprinkle with some salt, and add more turmeric and pepper if needed
They are so good that they can be enjoyed on there own, or dunk them in any dip of your liking!