When you’re having a moment (like I did yesterday) where you have a bunch of leftover veggies in your fridge and don’t know what to make, whipping up a rice bowl is a great option. Black beans and rice should be a pantry staple for every vegetarian. They’re super cheap, make a complete protein and you can always jazz them up with toppings and sauces like the hummus and tahini in this recipe.
What are your favourite toppings to add to your rice bowls?
INGREDIENTS (serves up to four):
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 1 can of black beans
- 1/4 a large red onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
For sides/toppings (ingredients measured per bowl):
- 1/2 a cucumber
- 1 handful of snow peas
- tablespoon of tahini
- tablespoon of hummus
- 1/2 an avocado
- Hot sauce (optional)
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Cook rice for 30-40 minutes (Follow instructions on package or put rice in pot when it comes to a boil, lower heat and cover, let it simmer under low-medium heat for the rest of the time)
- Add rinsed black beans at the last 5 minutes to cook with rice
- Remove bean and rice mixture from the heat and add to a bowl with diced onion, mix well
- Add this mixture to a serving bowl and top with sides/toppings.
- Mix everything together and eat!