I made this simple diary free soup the other day and thought it would make the perfect Meatless Monday dish to share. You only need a handful of ingredients, but it packs a lot of flavour and makes a comforting dish to serve on a cold day. On top of that, you are getting some great health benefits and a decent serving of veggies in each bowl from the cauliflower, cayenne and garlic. Hope you enjoy!
INGREDIENTS (apprx. 4 servings)
- 1 head of cauliflower diced
- 6 medium diced potatoes
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 liter of vegetable broth or a vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 cup of peas
- Salt, pepper and cayenne to taste
- Dice garlic and sauté in a teaspoon of coconut oil very quickly in a deep pot, you just want to briefly heat the garlic, not brown it.
- Add vegetable stock or bouillon cube and water to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add diced potatoes once the water/stock is boiled and leave until they are 3/4 cooked. You should be able to poke the outside with a fork, but not go all the way through the potato.
- Once potatoes are nearly cooked, lower the temperature to medium heat and add the cauliflower and cook for an additional 5 minutes with the lid of the pot on.
- You don’t want to overcook the cauliflower because the longer it cooks the more likely it is you break down the good nutrients it holds, so keep an eye on it and don’t cook it until it’s mush :P.
- Once the cauliflower is cooked, blend everything in the pot with either a hand blender, or put in a high speed blender like a Vitamix until smooth.
- After everything is smooth, add salt and pepper to taste. Then add peas right before you’re ready to serve so they are crisp and green and it’s ready! I topped my soup with some cayenne and chia seeds for some texture and extra protein, but if you can skip the cayenne if you don’t like spice.